Beatitude Baby

Beatitude Baby
Musings of a wayfaring Catholic family in pursuit of true happiness

Bienvenidos

Welcome to the family blog of two theologians and our babies! We hope you enjoy reading about our daily joys and struggles as Catholics, as spouses, as parents, and as beginning theologians. Ad maiorem Dei gloriam!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Child of God


Little James was baptized on Sunday, February 14th. He is now a child of God, a son of the Church! Let's just say that even though baptisms during mass are wonderful, I hope that I never have to be the mother at one again. I was so stressed out! The minute that the priest started speaking at the beginning of mass, James began to scream as loud as he could. I couldn't hear much of what the priest was saying because of the screaming in my ear, but I knew that he was talking about the four baptisms that were going to take place during mass. My only thought was, I must escape so that we don't interrupt any more of what he is saying. I climbed over everybody in the pew and high-tailed it for the door. As I reached the door at the side of the Church I heard the priest say, "James Andrew," and I realized that he was going down the aisle asking each family what name they gave their child. James had stopped crying, and with great embarrassment I high-tailed it back to the pew, in time for the priest to come around again and sign the cross on James's forehead. I thought, "This is not going well. I am making a spectacle!" Thank goodness James fell asleep for most of mass. But just before the baptism, as we were approaching the altar, he woke up and started to cry. I was so stressed out again! But he stopped crying just in time. After mass, several different people said, "He did so well. He didn't cry at all during the baptism." James finally broke down after mass and just screamed and screamed as we were trying to get him into his carseat. My mom said, "I don't know who it's harder on: the mom or the baby." I replied, "The mom. The baby doesn't feel the embarrassment!"

Anyway, both sets of grandparents were at the baptism. Jake and Jenny were the godparents, and Jenny's parents and brother happened to be in town too. Our dear friend Marsha drove over from St. Louis for the event too. We had a lovely lunch after mass, and it was an all around beautiful day. Our little boy is filled with grace, and that is what really matters!

1 comment:

  1. I tried to comment before, but I guess it didn't work...
    I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly what you went through. Matthew screamed bloody murder his entire Baptism and all the other babies were silent! It was so embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete